Dalton man charged after high speed chase
Feb 26, 2014 | 1647 views | 0 0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Larry Griggs, 31, of 4671 Old Dixie Higghway, Dalton faces numerous charges after leading officers on a high speed chase last WEdnesday that began on Highway 225 South, shortly after 3 p.m.

According to a report filed by Georgia State Patrol Trooper Michael Hall:

“I was traveling south on GA 225 near North Georgia Speedway Road and met a silver sport bike style motorcycle traveling northbound. It was occupied by abn individual wearing jeans, a brown jacket and a white helmet. The motorcycle was traveling 67 mph and slowed abruptly upon seeing me. I observed that the motorcycle did not have any registration as it passed me. I slowed and attempted to turn around to attempt to make a traffic stop on the motorcycle. I immediately observed that the motorcycle appeared to be accelerating. I then acrivated my emergency equipment. There were vehicles traveling northbound in front of the motorcycle in a no passing zone. The motorcycle passed those vehicles and then traveled through a stop sign at the intersection of GA 225 and Brown Bridge Road at a high rate of speed. The motorcycle continued north on GA 225 and continued to pass vehivles in no passing zones. My patrol car speedometer was registering 133 mph and the motorcycle was pulling away from me. The motorcycle slowed due to heavy traffic and nearly struck a vehicle in the rear at the intersection of GA 225 and Tibbs Bridge Road. The motorcycle once again passed vehicles in a no passing zone at the intersection of GA 225 and Tibbs Bridge Road. The motorcycle then turned right onto GA 52 Alternate. The motorcycle traveled into the westbound lane of travel and found that its path was blocked by a stationary Murray County patrol car with emergency equipment activated. The motorcycle traveled off the north side of the roadway and fell over. The driver of the motorcycle picked it up and attempted to push it back on the roadway where I blocked its path with my patraol car. The individual then dropped the motorcycle again and fled west on foot while removing the helmet and throwing it on the ground. I pursued the male individual on foot while instructing him to stop. I observed that he appeared to be rummaging in his right coat pocket while running. He kept doing so and I once again instructed the male to stop or I would shoot him with my Taser. The male attempted to run around a dumpster behind T-Bird Motors and I attempted to shoot him with the Taser. I was too far away and the Taser leads did not strike him; however, the noise scared the male and he immeidately dropped to the ground and surrendered. I handcuffed the male and advised him he was under arrest. I then searched the male and removed a wallet containing a Georgia License for a Thomas Byars. Deputy Mathis #13 had arrived and overheard me referring to the male as Thomas Byars. Deputy Mathis advised me that the individual we had caught was Thomas Byers. I continued searching the male and located a green pill bottle in his pocket that was prescribed to a Stacey Potts. The bottle advised it was Oxycodone and was filled on 2/18/14 at Carlton’s Pharmacy. The bottle contained 38 of the 66 pills it advised it had when it was filled. The individual advised his name was Larry Griggs and that his birthday was 11/09/1982. A check of Mr. Griggs via GCIC revealed that his license had been revoked. A check of the VIN on the motorcycle revealed that it was a 2003 Yamaha YZF600RR registered to an individual in Kennesaw, Georgia. I asked Mr. Griggs who the motorcycle belong to and he stated “it’s kinda, sorta mine.” The radio operator was instructed to contact authorities in Kennesaw and see if they could make contact with anyone at what GDIC advised was the regisered owner’s residenct. I was later advised that the regisered owner’s wife advised he had sold the Yamaha and she did not know to whom it was sold. Springfield’s Wrecker Service was contacted and took possession of the Yamaha. Deputy J. Webb trasported Mr. Griggs to the Murray County Jail for me. I obtained warrants and the drugs have been sent a crime lab.”